One of the many highlights of NLIHC’s 2016 Housing Policy Forum will be former U.S Congressman Barney Frank’s tribute to retiring NLIHC President and CEO Sheila Crowley. This year’s Forum, taking place in Washington D.C. on April 3-5, 2016, will be Dr. Crowley’s last at the helm of the Coalition. The NLIHC Board of Directors expects to be able to introduce the new NLIHC President at the Forum.
The 2016 Housing Policy Forum will convene housing and homeless advocates and policy experts from around the country to discuss housing and services for the homeless and those in extreme poverty, housing in the elections and in the media, preparations for implementing the National Housing Trust Fund and Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing rule, and much more.
In addition to Mr. Frank, confirmed speakers include:
- Kathryn Edin, co-author of $2 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America http://hub.jhu.edu/2015/11/10/kathryn-edin-2-a-day-reading;
- Mary Beth Shinn, lead researcher on the Family Options Study: Short-Term Impacts of Housing and Services Interventions for Homeless Families https://www.huduser.gov/portal/family_options_study.html;
- Pamela Patenaude, President of the J. Ronald Terwilliger Foundation for Housing America's Families;
- Emily Badger, Washington Post writer on housing and urban issues;
- Barbara Sard, Vice President for Housing Policy, the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities;
- Sharon McDonald, Director for Families and Youth, National Alliance to End Homelessness;
- Nancy Rase, retired CEO, Homes for America;
- Greg Payne, Development Officer, Avesta Housing, and Director, Maine Affordable Housing Coalition;
- Brian Hudson, Director, Pennsylvania Housing Authority; and
- Katherine M. O’Regan, Assistant Secretary for Policy Development and Research, HUD.
Invited speakers include:
- HUD Secretary Julián Castro and
- Senator Tim Kaine (D-VA).
Special Session for Low Income Residents: This year’s Forum will feature a special three-hour session for low income residents that will cover Section 3, RAD, and the preservation vs. mobility debate on Sunday, April 3 from 9 am to 12 noon. If you are a low-income resident who is attending the Forum, please plan on arriving no later than 9am on Sunday, April 3 to take advantage of this session!
Special Hotel Scholarships Available: A limited number of shared-lodging hotel scholarships (covering 3-4 nights at the Washington Court Hotel) are available for NLIHC low income members who are self-paying. They will be offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Contact Renee Willis 202-662-1530 x247 or email@example.com.
2016 NLIHC Leadership Reception: On the evening of Tuesday, April 5, NLIHC will host its annual Leadership Reception. This year’s honorees will be:
- Representative Barbara Lee (D-CA), who will recieve the 2016 Edward W. Brooke Housing Leadership Award, and
- Nancy Bernstine, retired Executive Director of the National AIDS Housing Coalition and former NLIHC Board Member, who will receive the 2016 Cushing N. Dolbeare Lifetime Service Award.
For more information about the Forum and Leadership Reception, go to http://www.nlihcforum.org/
Registration for the Forum and Leadership Reception is available at: http://www.nlihcforum.org/#!register/mainPage