Join us on April 5, 6-8 pm, at the Washington Court Hotel in Washington DC to celebrate the affordable housing contributions of U.S. Representative Barbara Lee (D-CA) and Nancy Bernstine at the 2016 NLIHC Leadership Awards Reception. Representative Lee will receive the 2016 Edward W. Brooke Housing Leadership Award for being a forceful and progressive voice in Congress for social, economic, and housing justice on behalf of the most vulnerable in her district and nationwide, and especially for her early, consistent, and vocal leadership on the National Housing Trust Fund. Ms. Bernstine will receive the 2016 Cushing N. Dolbeare Lifetime Service Award in recognition of her many years of affordable housing advocacy as executive director of the National AIDS Housing Coalition, NLIHC board member, and policy leader at the National Housing Law Project and the McAuley Institute.
To register for the Leadership Reception and/or make a contribution on behalf of this year’s awardees, go to: http://nlihc.org/events/leadership/registration.
Join us for NLIHC’s 2016 Housing Policy Forum on April 3-5, but register soon because the event is almost full.
This year’s Policy Forum will feature HUD Secretary Julián Castro, U.S. Senator Tim Kaine (D-VA), former U.S. Representative Barney Frank, author Kathryn Edin, Washington Post writer Emily Badger, and many others. The Forum will also be an opportunity to celebrate the leadership of long-time NLIHC President and CEO Sheila Crowley, who is retiring in April, and to welcome the Coalition’s incoming President and CEO Diane Yentel.
Featured sessions at this year’s Policy Forum include:
- HUD Priorities for 2016 and Beyond with HUD Secretary Julián Castro;
- Housing and Criminal Justice Reform with U.S. Senator Tim Kaine (VA-D);
- Reflections on $2 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America, with the book’s author, Kathryn Edin;
- Discussion on the findings from The Family Options Study: Short-Term Impacts of Housing and Services Interventions for Homeless Families, with the report’s lead researcher, Marybeth Shinn;
- Housing in the Media with Washington Post writer, Emily Badger;
- Affordable Housing Past, Present and Future with NLIHC President and CEO Sheila Crowley and Incoming NLIHC President and CEO Diane Yentel;
- Housing in the 2016 Elections;
- Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing;
- National Housing Trust Fund Implementation;
- A Dinner Celebration of Retiring NLIHC President and CEO Sheila Crowley with former U.S. Representative Barney Frank;
- Resident Session on Section 3, RAD, and the preservation-mobility balance under AFFH;
- And more.
To register for the Forum, go to: http://nlihcforum.org/