NLIHC’s 2016 Housing Policy Forum will feature a discussion on making affordable housing a priority issue in the 2016 elections. The session will include insights from Pamela Patenaude, President of the J. Ronald Terwilliger Foundation for Housing America's Families, and Lindsey Hodel, National Field Director at Nonprofit Vote. This year’s Forum will take place in Washington DC on April 3-5, 2016.
The 2016 Housing Policy Forum will convene housing and homeless advocates and policy experts from around the country to discuss housing and services for the homeless and those in extreme poverty, housing in the media, preparations for implementing the National Housing Trust Fund and Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing rule, and much more. This year’s Forum will also be an opportunity to recognize Sheila Crowley’s 17-year tenure as President and CEO of NLIHC as she transitions to retirement. The NLIHC Board of Directors expects to be able to introduce the new NLIHC President at the Forum.
In addition to Ms. Patenaude and Ms. Hodel, confirmed Forum speakers include:
- Barney Frank, former U.S. Congressman, Chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, and author of Frank. A Life in Politics from the Great Society to Same-Sex Marriage;
- Kathryn Edin, co-author of $2 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America http://hub.jhu.edu/2015/11/10/kathryn-edin-2-a-day-reading;
- Mary Beth Shinn, lead researcher on the Family Options Study: Short-Term Impacts of Housing and Services Interventions for Homeless Families https://www.huduser.gov/portal/family_options_study.html;
- Emily Badger, Washington Post writer on housing and urban issues;
- Barbara Sard, Vice President for Housing Policy, the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities;
- Sharon McDonald, Director for Families and Youth, National Alliance to End Homelessness;
- Nancy Rase, retired CEO, Homes for America;
- Greg Payne, Development Officer, Avesta Housing, and Director, Maine Affordable Housing Coalition;
- Brian Hudson, Director, Pennsylvania Housing Authority;
- Katherine M. O’Regan, Assistant Secretary for Policy Development and Research, HUD;
- Marion Mollegen McFadden, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Grant Programs, Office of Community Planning and Development, HUD; and
- Keith Swiney, President and CEO of Motivation, Inc.
Invited speakers include:
- HUD Secretary Julián Castro and
- Senator Tim Kaine (D-VA).
Special Session for Low Income Residents: This year’s Forum will feature a special three-hour session for low income residents that will cover Section 3, RAD, the preservation vs. mobility debate, and a new online learning and sharing platform for residents on Sunday, April 3 from 9 am to 12 noon. If you are a low-income resident who is attending the Forum, please plan on arriving no later than 9am on Sunday, April 3 to take advantage of this session!
2016 NLIHC Leadership Reception: On the evening of Tuesday, April 5, NLIHC will host its annual Leadership Reception. This year’s honorees will be:
- Representative Barbara Lee (D-CA), who will receive the 2016 Edward W. Brooke Housing Leadership Award, and
- Nancy Bernstine, retired Executive Director of the National AIDS Housing Coalition and former NLIHC Board Member, who will receive the 2016 Cushing N. Dolbeare Lifetime Service Award.
For more information about the Forum and Leadership Reception, go to http://nlihcforum.org
Registration for the Forum and Leadership Reception is available at: http://www.nlihcforum.org/#!register/mainPage