HUD Secretary Julián Castro will speak about HUD priorities for 2016 and beyond, and respond to questions from participants at NLIHC’s Housing Policy Forum that will take place April 3-5 in Washington, DC. This year’s forum will also feature U.S. Senator Tim Kaine (D-VA), former U.S. Representative Barney Frank, researcher and author Kathryn Edin, Washington Post writer Emily Badger, and many others. The Forum will also be an opportunity to celebrate the leadership of long-time NLIHC President and CEO Sheila Crowley, who is retiring in April, and to welcome the Coalition’s incoming President and CEO Diane Yentel.
Featured sessions at this year’s Policy Forum include:
- HUD Priorities for 2016 and Beyond with HUD Secretary Julián Castro;
- Housing and Criminal Justice Reform with U.S. Senator Tim Kaine (VA-D);
- Reflections on $2 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America, with the book’s author, Kathryn Edin;
- Discussion on the findings from The Family Options Study: Short-Term Impacts of Housing and Services Interventions for Homeless Families, with the report’s lead researcher, Marybeth Shinn;
- Housing in the Media with Washington Post writer, Emily Badger;
- Affordable Housing Past, Present and Future with NLIHC President and CEO Sheila Crowley and Incoming NLIHC President and CEO Diane Yentel;
- Housing in the 2016 Elections;
- Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing;
- National Housing Trust Fund Implementation;
- A Dinner Celebration of Retiring NLIHC President and CEO Sheila Crowley with former U.S. Representative Barney Frank;
- Resident Session on Section 3, RAD, and the preservation-mobility balance under AFFH;
- And more.
2016 NLIHC Leadership Reception: On the evening of Tuesday, April 5, NLIHC will host its annual Leadership Reception. This year’s honorees will be:
- Representative Barbara Lee (D-CA), who will receive the 2016 Edward W. Brooke Housing Leadership Award, and
- Nancy Bernstine, retired Executive Director of the National AIDS Housing Coalition and former NLIHC Board Member, who will receive the 2016 Cushing N. Dolbeare Lifetime Service Award.
For more information about the Forum and Leadership Reception, go to: http://nlihcforum.org