NLIHC seeks to hire a Communications Specialist to develop and implement media and public relations strategies that advance NLIHC's mission. Responsibilities of the position include:
- Developing and maintaining strong relationships with media contacts;
- Pitching stories and securing regular interviews and editorial board meetings;
- Assisting in development of messaging and implementing messaging strategies
- Preparing and releasing press releases and media alerts;
- Coordinating press events for NLIHC and our state coalition partners;
- Drafting op-eds, letters-to-the-editor, blogs, articles, and other opinion pieces, and getting them placed in relevant publications;
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive strategy for using social media;
- Monitoring all media coverage of NLIHC, its campaigns, and its policy priorities;
- Maintaining records of all media work and producing analytic metrics and monthly reports;
- Assisting in content development, writing, and editing of Advocates' Guide, Annual Report, and other publications;
- Assisting state coalition partners in developing media strategies;
- Developing and implementing webinars, workshops, and written materials to aid NLIHC members in the use of social media and press strategies; and
- Helping to recruit and supervise communication interns.
Applicants must have a bachelor's degree (master's degree preferred). A degree in communications, marketing, public relations, or related areas is a plus. Applicants should have two years of experience in media and social media communications, public affairs, and/or marketing. Applicants should have a commitment to social justice and some knowledge of the fundamentals of housing poverty, homelessness, affordable housing policy, affordable housing development, or social service delivery. Candidates should have strong writing and editing, oral and interpersonal communications, and organizational skills. Applicants should also be proficient in the Microsoft Office suite and social media platforms. This is a full time position located in Washington, DC.
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter with salary requirement, and two writing samples to Paul Kealey, Chief Operating Officer, NLIHC, at email@example.com