In February, NLIHC joined the Strengthening America’s Values and Economy for All (SAVE) campaign to advocate for preventing federal cuts that will endanger low and moderate income households (see Memo, 2/11).
The SAVE campaign advocates to prevent a loss of economic security due to Congress’ threatened cuts in federal funding for human needs programs. SAVE members recognize that maintaining federal capacity to spur economic recovery will benefit all Americans, especially low income households.
The SAVE statement of principles calls on the Obama administration and Congress to:
• Protect low and moderate income people in budget and
deficit reduction proposals by opposing cuts in or the elimination of
effective services, while supporting expansions necessary to respond to
• Prevent multi-year appropriations caps that force harsh reductions in domestic and human needs services.
• Prevent damaging structural changes in essential human needs programs.
• Reject efforts to adopt a constitutional amendment to balance the federal budget.
• Support deficit reduction plans that include additional revenues drawn from equitable sources.
• Oppose rules and statutory changes that favor tax cuts over important domestic investments.
NLIHC urges advocacy groups, service providers, faith-based organizations, labor, civil rights groups and policy experts to endorse the SAVE statement of principles.
View the principles and sign on: http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/125/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=5703