The National Housing Law Project will hold a webinar on HUD’s final rule implementing the housing provisions of the “Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013” (VAWA) rule (see Memo, 10/31/16). HUD also released a notice of occupancy rights under VAWA, a model emergency transfer plan, and a VAWA self-certification form (see Memo, 12/19/16). The free webinar will take place on Wednesday, March 1, at 2:00 pm ET, 1:00 pm CT, noon MT, 11:00 am PT. Register at: http://bit.ly/2kNBGAI
The webinar will provide a summary and analysis of key parts of the final rule, which include:
- Extending VAWA protections to survivors of sexual assault;
- Extending VAWA protections to cover all HUD programs listed in VAWA 2013, including the national Housing Trust Fund, which was not in the VAWA statute;
- Establishing a 180-day period for housing providers to complete an emergency transfer plan;
- Requiring covered housing providers to provide a notification of VAWA rights to existing tenants and applicants;
- Outlining what is a “reasonable time” for survivors to establish eligibility for a covered HUD program in cases where, due to VAWA crimes, the tenant that established eligibility is no longer a member of the survivor’s household; and
6) Revising and creating conforming regulations for the covered housing programs.