The national Housing Trust Fund is the first new housing resource in a generation. It is exclusively targeted to help build, preserve, and rehabilitate housing for people with the lowest incomes.
NLIHC, its members, and other stakeholders played a critical role in the creation of the Housing Trust Fund through the passage of the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008.
In 2016, the first $174 million in Housing Trust Fund dollars were allocated to states. This is an important step, but far more resources are needed.
NLIHC leads the Housing Trust Fund Implementation and Policy Group, a coalition of national advocates committed to protecting and expanding this new resource. NLIHC works with stakeholders to build Congressional support to increase funding to the Housing Trust Fund through the budget process, tax reform, housing finance reform, investments in infrastructure, and other legislative opportunities.
2016 Allocation Plan & Implementation
The first National Housing Trust Fund (NHTF) dollars are available for your state. Be on the forefront of securing these funds for your community. Learn More>>
- Model NHTF Allocation Plan (PDF)
- NHTF Allocation Plan Webinar Slides (PDF)
- NHTF Implementation Webinar Video from February 29, 2016 (WMV)
- NHTF State Allocation Plan Information
- NHTF Allocation Plan State Point Persons (PDF)
- NHTF Implementation Timeline (PDF)
- HTF Developer Advisory Group (PDF)
- Funding Strategies for Developing and Operating ELI Housing (PDF)
- HTF Operating Assistance Options and Considerations (PDF)
- Webinar on Financing and Operating Affordable Housing for Extremely Low Income Households — Originally aired August 15, 2016 (MP4)
- Aligning Federal Low Income Housing Programs with Housing Need
- Creating New Integrated Permanent Supportive Housing Opportunities For ELI Households: A Vision for the Future of the National Housing Trust Fund
- Housing Trust Fund Factsheet (PDF)
- The 2016 NHTF State Allocations (PDF)
- HUD’s Official List of State Agencies Designated to Administer the NHTF
- What is the NHTF/Key differences between the NHTF and the HOME (PDF)
- National Housing Trust Fund: Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- Getting to Know the NHTF Regulations (PDF)
- Stay Connected: Get the latest information on NHTF Implementation delivered straight to your inbox. Click here to sign up for updates!
If you would like to print any of these pdfs, you will have better results if you download the pdfs to your desktop, open the pdf in Acrobat Reader, and print from Acrobat. To download Acrobat Reader, click here: https://get.adobe.com/reader/