The national Housing Trust Fund (HTF) is the first new housing resource since 1974 targeted to building, rehabilitating, preserving, and operating rental housing for extremely low income people.
NLIHC, its members, and other stakeholders played a critical role in the creation of the Housing Trust Fund through the passage of the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008.
In 2016, the first $174 million in HTF dollars were allocated to states. In 2017 $219 million is available. These initial allocations are important steps, but far more resources are needed.
NLIHC leads the Housing Trust Fund Implementation and Policy Group, a coalition of national advocates committed to protecting and expanding this new resource. NLIHC works with stakeholders to build Congressional support to increase funding for the HTF through tax reform, housing finance reform, investments in infrastructure, and other legislative opportunities.
Latest HTF News:
- Letter signed by 1,000 advocates urging Congress to protect and expand the HTF (PDF)
- 2017 HTF State Allocations (PDF)
- HUD’s 2017 HTF Allocation Plan Guide
- Notice CPD-2017-5: 2017 Allocation Plan Submission Guidance
2016 Allocation Plan & Implementation
The first National Housing Trust Fund (NHTF) dollars are available for your state. Be on the forefront of securing these funds for your community. Learn More>>
- Model NHTF Allocation Plan (PDF)
- NHTF Allocation Plan Webinar Slides (PDF)
- NHTF Implementation Webinar Video from February 29, 2016 (WMV)
- NHTF State Allocation Plan Information
- NHTF Allocation Plan State Point Persons (PDF)
- NHTF Implementation Timeline (PDF)
- HTF Developer Advisory Group (PDF)
- Funding Strategies for Developing and Operating ELI Housing (PDF)
- HTF Operating Assistance Options and Considerations (PDF)
- Webinar on Financing and Operating Affordable Housing for Extremely Low Income Households — Originally aired August 15, 2016 (MP4)
- Aligning Federal Low Income Housing Programs with Housing Need
- Creating New Integrated Permanent Supportive Housing Opportunities For ELI Households: A Vision for the Future of the National Housing Trust Fund
- Housing Trust Fund Factsheet (PDF)
- The 2016 NHTF State Allocations (PDF)
- HUD’s Official List of State Agencies Designated to Administer the NHTF
- What is the NHTF/Key differences between the NHTF and the HOME (PDF)
- National Housing Trust Fund: Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- Getting to Know the NHTF Regulations (PDF)
- Stay Connected: Get the latest information on NHTF Implementation delivered straight to your inbox. Click here to sign up for updates!
If you would like to print any of these pdfs, you will have better results if you download the pdfs to your desktop, open the pdf in Acrobat Reader, and print from Acrobat. To download Acrobat Reader, click here: https://get.adobe.com/reader/