U.S. senators will return to Washington next week to debate a GOP tax reform bill that puts future federal investments in affordable housing at risk of deep cuts. Join housing organizations and advocates across the country for a Twitterstorm hosted by NLIHC and the Campaign for Housing and Community Development Funding (CHCDF) on Tuesday, November 28 from 2:00 pm EST to 3:00 pm EST to urge senators to vote “no” on the Republican tax bill.
Congress has a once-in-a-generation opportunity with tax reform to address homelessness and housing poverty for millions of struggling families. Instead, the Senate and House tax reform bills provide massive tax cuts for billionaires and corporations. While the Senate tax bill preserves critical housing resources that are slated for elimination in the House-passed version, both bills increase the federal debt by $1.5 trillion, putting future federal investments in affordable housing and community development – as well as other vital programs that help the lowest income families meet their basic needs - at risk of deep cuts.
For more information about the Senate tax plan, read NLIHC’s analysis: http://bit.ly/2zXHrUO
To learn more about how tax reform legislation puts future investments in programs that serve low income families at risk, see these budget briefs from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities: http://bit.ly/2xTfBGs
HOW YOU CAN TAKE ACTION
Join a national Twitterstorm on Tuesday, November 28 from 2:00 pm EST to 3:00 pm EST to urge senators to vote “no” on this irresponsible and unacceptable tax bill.
Use the hashtags: #GOPTaxPlan, #AffordableHousing, #CutsHurt
- The #GOPTaxPlan increases the debt by $1.5T to give tax cuts to the rich, while #affordablehousing investments are put at risk. http://bit.ly/2xTfBGs
- We have an #affordablehousing crisis. This is not the time to put vital investments at risk. Vote no on the #GOPTaxPlan. #CutsHurt http://bit.ly/2xTfBGs
- America is stronger when we have #affordablehousing. Oppose the #GOPTaxPlan that threatens vital investments. #CutsHurt http://bit.ly/2xTfBGs
- #Cutshurt seniors, ppl w/disabilities, kids, and more. Oppose the #GOPTaxPlan that puts investments in #affordablehousing at risk. http://bit.ly/2xTfBGs
- America is stronger with #affordablehousing & stable communities. The #GOPTaxPlan would lead to deep cuts to these investments. #CutsHurt http://bit.ly/2xTfBGs
- Families thrive bc of #affordablehousing investments at HUD and USDA. Congress should vote no on the #GOPTaxPlan and start over. #CutsHurt http://bit.ly/2xTfBGs
- With #affordablehousing, families climb the economic ladder and kids do better in school. The #GOPTaxPlan invests in the rich, not kids. http://bit.ly/2xTfBGs
- Affordable homes are linked to better health. A #GOPTaxPlan that puts #affordablehousing investments at risk makes America less healthy. http://bit.ly/2xTfBGs
- Want better health, ed, & econ mobility? Congress should oppose the #GOPTaxPlan, which puts #affordablehousing at risk, & start over. http://bit.ly/2xTfBGs