Senator Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Representative Keith Ellison (D-MN), NLIHC, and the United for Homes campaign invite you to join us for a Congressional briefing, #SmartTaxReform: The Republican Tax Plan and the Mortgage Interest Deduction, on Tuesday, October 17, 10:00 am – 11:00 am, at the Capitol Visitors Center, Room SVC 209.
Through smart, modest reforms to the mortgage interest deduction – a $70 billion tax expenditure that primarily serves higher income households and that economists see as wasteful and ineffective – Congress can provide a greater tax benefit to more than 25 million low and moderate income homeowners and reinvest the savings into providing affordable rental homes for those with the greatest needs, without adding any cost to the federal government.
Panelists will discuss why Congress should rebalance and reprioritize federal housing policy through comprehensive tax reform to better serve homeowners and renters.
- Mechele Dickerson, Arthur L. Moller chair in bankruptcy law and practice and distinguished teaching professor at the University of Texas at Austin
- Nela Richardson, chief economist, Redfin Corporation
- Tatjana Meschede, associate director, Institute on Assets and Social Policy, Brandeis University
- Megan Sandel, principal investigator with Children’s Health Watch
- Diane Yentel, NLIHC president and CEO
Register for the briefing at: http://bit.ly/2gzVtDy