Public housing is housing stock that is owned by the government; federal public housing is owned by HUD and administered by local public housing agencies (PHAs).
Additional public housing has not been built in decades. Advocates are thus focused primarily on preserving the public housing stock that remains. Issues facing today’s public housing include: generally well-run public housing agencies facing significant federal funding shortfalls; policies like demolition, disposition and the HOPE VI program that have resulted in the nationwide loss of public housing units; and calls for deregulation of public housing, through the expansion of the Moving to Work demonstration program and other efforts, that come at the expense of affordability, deep income targeting, resident participation, and programmatic accountability.
For more information on public housing, contact Sarah Saadian Mickelson, Senior Director of Policy, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202.662.1530 x228.
- Resident Participation in Public Housing Part 964 Regulations Outline of Key Features (PDF, 330 KB)
- Outline of Resident Participation in the PHA Plan Process (PDF, 310 KB)
- HUD's Guidance on the use of Tenant Participation Funds [Notice PIH 2013-21] (PDF)
- HUD Issues Notice on Use of Tenant Participation Funds
- HUD video about the use of Tenant Participation Funds
- Sample Comment Letter
- NLIHC's Draft Comment Letter
- NLIHC's Preliminary Summary and Analysis of Proposed Section 3 Regulation (May 13, 2019)
- NLIHC’s Public Housing Parts Summary and Analysis of the Proposed Section 3 Regulation (May 13, 2019)
- Outline of Section 3 Obligation (2014) (.PDF, 195 KB)
- HUD's Section 3 Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs] (PDF)
- NLIHC Tables Summarizing "MTW Waivers" Proposed by HUD on October 5, 2018
- NLIHC Assessment of Amended Operations Notice Proposed by HUD on October 5, 2018
- NLIHC Comments Regarding Proposed Amended Operations Notice
- NLIHC/CBPP MTW Expansion Opposition Letter (.PDF, 102 KB)
- Summary of Moving to Work Proposal (Proposed & Rejected in 2012) (.PDF, 1 MB)
Memo to Members and Partners Articles
November 18, 2019
November 18, 2019
November 11, 2019