Upcoming hearings on housing, homelessness, and disaster recovery have been announced by the U.S. House Financial Services Committee; the U.S. Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs; and the U.S. House Committee on Homeland Security’s Subcommittee on Emergency Preparedness, Response, and Recovery.
The House Financial Services Committee (HFSC) will hold a hearing, “Housing in America: Oversight of the Federal Housing Finance Agency,” on July 20 at 10:00 am ET. Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) Director Sandra Thompson will testify. The FHFA is responsible for overseeing Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which provide funding for the national Housing Trust Fund by leveraging a small fee on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac transactions.
Watch the hearing here.
The Senate Banking Committee will hold two hearings this week on housing and homelessness. The first, “Opportunities and Challenges to End Homelessness,” will be hosted by the Subcommittee on Housing, Transportation, and Community Development on July 19 at 2:30 pm ET. Witnesses for the hearing include:
- Ann Oliva, CEO of the National Alliance to End Homelessness.
- Kathryn Monet, CEO of the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans.
- Cathy ten Broeke, assistant commissioner and executive director of the Minnesota Interagency Council on Homelessness.
- Isabel McDevitt, co-founder and board president of The Doe Fund.
- Jamie Kirsch, board member of Journey On.
The second hearing, “Priced Out: The State of Housing in America,” will be hosted by the full committee and take place on July 21 at 10:00 am ET. Witnesses for the hearing include:
- Peggy Bailey, vice president for housing policy at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.
- Lawrence Yun, chief economist and senior vice president for research at the National Association of Realtors.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin, president of the American Action Forum.
Finally, the House Committee on Homeland Security’s Subcommittee on Emergency Preparedness, Response, and Recovery will hold a hearing, “Supporting Underserved Communities in Emergency Management,” on July 19 at 9:00 am ET. Witnesses for the hearing include:
- Barbara Ammirati, senior advisor of child protection at Save the Children.
- Macie Roth, executive director and CEO of the World Institute on Disability.
- Denise Bottcher, state director of the American Association of Retired Persons Louisiana.
- Antoine Richards, chief of staff at the Institute for Diversity and Inclusion in Emergency Management.
- Preston Bowlin, emergency management director at the Marion County Sheriff’s Office.
Watch the hearing here.