Join a Tweetstorm tomorrow, August 27, from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. ET to #DefendCivilRights and encourage advocates to submit comments opposing HUD’s proposed changes to the Disparate Impact regulation. The proposed changes would make it virtually impossible for protected classes of people under the Fair Housing Act to raise claims that businesses, governments, and other entities are disparately discriminating against them.
Comments opposing the proposed changes can be submitted directly through campaign websites, www.defendcivilrights.org and www.fightforhousingjustice.org, until the October 18 deadline. Some sample tweets are below, and more can be found in this social media toolkit.
- The Trump administration and @HUDgov are creating insurmountable barriers to proving discrimination under the Fair Housing Act. Fight back by leaving a comment here: http://bit.ly/2z7aCoT #DefendCivilRights #FightforHousingJustice
- Act now to stop the Trump administration from making it impossible to prove discrimination under the #FairHousing Act. Everyone is at risk! Join us in fighting back. http://bit.ly/2z7aCoT #DefendCivilRights #FairHousingForAll
- The latest Trump administration attack on civil rights protections could allow landlords, lenders and insurance companies to discriminate without consequences. Tell @HUDgov we won’t allow this! http://bit.ly/2z7aCoT #DefendCivilRights #FairHousingForAll
- Stop the Trump administration’s latest attack on our civil rights! #KeepHousingFair for communities of color, families with children, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities. Fight back by leaving a comment here: http://bit.ly/2z7aCoT #DefendCivilRights #FightforHousingJustice
- Help protect our neighborhoods from discrimination! Everyone should have a place to call home that connects them to the opportunities they need to thrive. http://bit.ly/2z7aCoT #DefendCivilRights