NLIHC and other national leaders of the Campaign for Housing and Community Development Funding (CHCDF) are leading a national call-in day today (May 4) to urge Congress to include funding to meet the urgent needs of people experiencing homelessness and America’s lowest-income renters in the next coronavirus relief package. It is crucial that advocates contact their representatives and senators and urge them to support vital resources and protections, including $11.5 billion to address the needs of people experiencing homelessness, $100 billion in emergency rental assistance, and a uniform national moratorium on evictions and foreclosures. See NLIHC’s recommendations for the next relief package here. Contact your member of Congress and then tweet about it using hashtag #RentReliefNow!
As House and Senate leaders debate the scope of the fourth coronavirus package, the coming weeks will be critical for advocates as we work together to ensure significant housing and homelessness resources are included in the bill. While Congress provided $12 billion in housing and homelessness resources in the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Stability (CARES) Act, far more resources are needed. Even before the pandemic, America’s lowest-income renters were struggling to pay rent each month, and many of these renters are now facing job losses and reduced wages. Congress must provide at least $100 billion in rental assistance to keep the lowest-income renters stably housed during and after the pandemic and to preserve our country’s essential affordable housing infrastructure.
Contact your senators and representatives TODAY to demand funding for housing and homelessness programs in the next coronavirus relief package. You can find contact information for your members of Congress here or send an email from NLIHC’s Legislative Action Center. You can also join the conversation on Twitter by using the sample tweets below.
Sample Call Script:
I am calling to urge you to including funding in the next coronavirus relief package to meet the pressing needs of people experiencing homelessness and America’s lowest-income renters.
As the health and economic impacts of coronavirus become clear, our country’s lowest-income and most marginalized people are at the greatest risk of harm. People experiencing homelessness are vulnerable to contracting the disease, and, once infected, are more likely to require critical care and die from COVID-19. Resources are needed NOW to curb the spread of coronavirus and save lives.
The next coronavirus relief package must include funding to help keep America’s lowest-income renters stably housed. Congress should provide at least $100 billion for emergency rental assistance and implement a uniform national moratorium on all evictions and foreclosures.
Please tell House and Senate leadership to ensure the next congressional relief package addresses the urgent needs of people experiencing homelessness and the lowest-income renters.
- Incl. hsg & homelessness resources in the #CARESAct was an important 1st step, but Congress must do more to address the dire needs of people who were struggling before #COVID19. Join #NationalCallDay & demand #RentReliefNow with $100B for #rentalassistance https://tinyurl.com/y8j6rvv6
- The issue of homelessness is a growing problem, especially during this pandemic. This is a moral failure, but we can do better. The urgent needs of millions of America’s lowest-income families can’t wait. Join #NationalCallDay and demand #RentReliefNow! https://tinyurl.com/y8j6rvv6
- Vital resources & protections for people experiencing homelessness, who were more endangered by #COVID19, must be incl. in the next #COVID19 bill. Join us today for a #NationalCallDay to urge Congress to fund homelessness programs and #RentReliefNow https://tinyurl.com/y8j6rvv6
- Rent is past due & millions of the lowest-income families can’t afford to pay. Let's contact Congress, tell them to get back to work & invest in solutions needed to safely & stably house families during the #COVID19 pandemic https://tinyurl.com/y8j6rvv6
- Our country can’t contain #COVID19 if millions of us are without homes or on the brink of homelessness. Join today’s #NationalCallDay & tell Congress to provide #RentReliefNow to allow families to keep roofs over their heads during & after this pandemic https://tinyurl.com/y8j6rvv6
See NLIHC’s recommendations for the next coronavirus relief package at: https://tinyurl.com/y9mmz9hv
Find out how to contact your member of Congress at: https://tinyurl.com/yb9goyt6
Send your member of Congress an email through NLIHC’s Legislative Action Center at: https://tinyurl.com/y9xxw4or