The Opportunity Starts at Home multi-sector affordable homes campaign released a national opinion poll that shows the public supports affordable housing investments in the “Build Back Better Act” by significant margins.
The poll found that:
- 74% of respondents support policies that expand investments in housing development programs that will build more housing units that are affordable for low-income people
- 70% of respondents support policies that ensure that families with young children who are receiving rental assistance can move from high-poverty neighborhoods to low-poverty neighborhoods that have less crime, better job prospects, and better schools
- 68% support policies that expand funding to provide critical infrastructure repairs to public housing units, addressing a $70 billion backlog of needs that would improve the health and living conditions for millions of residents
The poll showed respondents want to see action taken to address the housing crisis even in the face of difficult trade-offs:
- A substantial portion of respondents said that the government should make major investments related to safe and affordable housing – even if it meant a national debt increase – 1.5 times more respondents than those who said that limiting the debt should be prioritized
- 6 in 10 (59%) respondents agreed that investing in federal housing programs is so important that we should consider things like raising taxes on corporations and the wealthy or cutting spending in other areas – 2.5 times the number of people (23%) who disagreed
Learn more about OSAH’s national poll here.
Follow the Opportunity Starts at Home campaign on social media: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn. Be sure to sign up for our e-newsletter to get the latest updates about the campaign, including new multi-sector partners, calls to action, events, and research.