The Opportunity Starts at Home campaign will kick off a three-part webinar series entitled “Building Multi-Sector Partnerships to Advance Housing Policy,” with the first webinar on May 18 from 3-4 pm ET. Over the course of three parts, this webinar series will explore the opportunities, challenges, and best practices of building multi-sector coalitions to advance policy, featuring speakers from leading national and state organizations from many fields of work.
The first part of the webinar series, entitled “Health, Climate, and Education Advocates ARE Housing Advocates,” will feature:
- Khalil Shahyd, senior policy advisor, Equity Environment and Just Communities, Natural Resources Defense Council
- Makeda Harris, senior policy analyst, National Education Association
- Dr. Janna Gewirtz O'Brien, MD, FAAP, University of Minnesota, American Academy of Pediatrics
- Nan Roman, president and CEO, National Alliance to End Homelessness
- Chantelle Wilkinson, campaign manager, Opportunity Starts at Home
Through the Opportunity Starts at Home campaign, leading national organizations from an array of sectors are pushing Congress to act on more robust and equitable housing policies. Even before the pandemic, America was in the grips of an affordable housing crisis, most severely impacting the most marginalized and lowest-income people. Advocates from health, education, racial equity, food security, environmental protection, economic mobility, domestic violence, social work, faith, and more are recognizing that affordable homes are inextricably linked to their own priorities and concerns. As Congress begins to discuss robust infrastructure and recovery packages, we have a historic opportunity to advance bold housing solutions. These solutions are more likely to come to fruition when multi-sector coalitions are leading the way, as opposed to housing advocates alone.
The event is open to the public. Please register and help spread the word to your respective networks. Learn more about the event and register here.