Supportive services must be integrated with housing in order to help low income people achieve housing stability. Those who are transitioning out of homelessness are often the greatest beneficiaries of this integrated approach.
“Housing Plus Services” is an umbrella term coined by the National Low Income Housing Coalition to captures the phenomenon of combined housing and service initiatives. Housing Plus Services refers to permanent affordable housing that incorporates various levels of services with housing, with services provided, preferably, by trained staff for whom service delivery, not property management, is their primary responsibility.
Our work in the broad Housing Plus Services subject area includes our support for programs at the intersection of housing and services that support the ability of the lowest income people, included those with service or accessibility needs, to have affordable housing, live where their choose, increase their earned income, and participate in decisions about their housing.
- The highest possible funding for special population housing and other programs, including McKinney-Vento, Section 811, Section 202, Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA) Program, and healthy housing.
- Permanent housing programs that prevent and end homelessness.
- Policies that provide affordable housing options necessary to comply with the Olmstead decision.
- The rights of residents and other low income community members to benefit from federal investment in local housing programs.
- Enactment of Section 3 program reforms.
- Updates to the funding formula for HOPWA.
- Healthy housing legislation.
For more information about NLIHC’s Housing Plus Services work, please contact Elayne Weiss, Policy Analyst, at email@example.com or 202-662-1530 x 243. Members of the media should contact Renee Willis, Vice President for Field and Communications, at 202.662.1530 x247 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Housing Plus Services Resources
January 22, 2018
September 11, 2017
August 22, 2016
August 8, 2016