More than 13,400 people registered for the Homelessness and Housing First webinar hosted by NLIHC, the National Alliance to End Homelessness (the Alliance), and the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (CBPP) on September 11. The webinar, “Getting the Message Right: Reevaluating How We Talk about Housing First,” was the final one in the series and examined the challenges involved in messaging about the success of Housing First. We were joined by Jen Butler, vice president of external affairs at NLIHC; Tom Murphy, senior director of communications at the Alliance; Marisol Bello, executive director of Housing Narrative Lab; Lindsay Knotts, managing director of impact strategies at TheCaseMade; and Mark Horvath, founder of Invisible People.
In recent years, widespread misinformation about the Housing First model – what it is, how it works, and what it entails – has sown confusion and misunderstanding about the model among lawmakers, the media, and members of the public. The panelists offered their perspectives on how to reorient messaging to illustrate the model’s benefits more effectively.
Resources discussed on the webinar:
- Housing First Resources
- Fact Sheet: Housing First Works
- Housing Narrative Lab
- TheCaseMade Playbook: Building the Public and Political Will for Ending Homelessness and Creating Communities Rich with Abundant Housing
- Invisible People: Daily News on Homelessness
- Invisible People: Scripted Social Impact Films
- Invisible People: Mini Documentaries
- Invisible People: Social Impact Animations
- Invisible People: Street Medicine Series
- Invisible People: Series on Sweeps in Los Angeles
- Invisible People: What America Believes about Homelessness
- Invisible People: Barriers to Progress
Share Your Feedback on the Homelessness and Housing First Webinar Series!
Thank you to everyone who participated in the Homelessness and Housing First Webinar Series, which included 13 webinars throughout 2022-2023.
We invite everyone who attended at least one webinar to take a few minutes to fill out this brief evaluation of the webinar series. Your input will help inform the trajectory of future webinars. You can access the survey at: https://bit.ly/3Z48E3M.
We appreciate your time and participation!
Learn more about Housing First at: https://bit.ly/3ViLyU6